The IRS has released many alerts to the public regarding telephone scams. The scammers will call claiming to be the Internal Revenue Service and can become extremely aggressive. Potential victims are told they are entitled to refunds or have a balance due to the IRS.Whichever the claim may be, the scammers will insist that the situation must be resolved at that moment. If they do not get the information they are phishing for, they can become extremely aggressive and will make any and all threats they believe will get the information they want. These threats can include but are not limited to deportation, jail, utilities being shut off, and driver’s license being revoked.
Below is a list of some common characteristics the IRS has released:
- Scammers use fake names and IRS badge numbers. They generally use common names and surnames to identify themselves.
- Scammers may be able to recite the last four digits of a victim’s Social Security number.
- Scammers spoof the IRS toll-free number on caller ID to make it appear that it’s the IRS calling.
- Scammers sometimes send bogus IRS emails to some victims to support their bogus calls.
- Victims hear background noise of other calls being conducted to mimic a call site.
- After threatening victims with jail time or driver’s license revocation, scammers hang up and others soon call back pretending to be from the local police or DMV, and the caller ID supports their claim.
It is important to remember that the IRS will send a letter in the mail to contact taxpayers and will NOT contact you via email, text, or telephone.Additionally, the IRS does not take credit, debit, or prepaid card information over the telephone. The IRS will NOT come to your house and drive you around town to get the funds to pay them.
Should you receive one of these calls or letters, do NOT give any information to the caller or respond to the letter, this includes even your name and phone number. Contact your local Laird’s Tax Service office and we can assist with any questions you may have to the validity of any claims. When you have your tax return prepared at Laird’s Tax Service, your preparation fee includes an hour of consultation at no additional charge. Visit our locations page to find our office nearest you!